Sun, Mar 26, 2017 

Campaign Report

mail this discussion to a friend..

Total = 9 messages   -   Viewing all 9 messages   -   View by pages of 10:  1

[Campaign Report] - Posted: 31 October 2014 - 10:24 am GMT   /   Edited: 31 October 2014 - 03:43 pm GMT
Nik Wood

View user details & audio files
New-user

Website?:  No link
File/Image?:  No file

www.redbrickblog.wordpress.com/2014/10/29/time-to-abandon-the-debased-language-of-affordability/

If I've got this right this link will take you to a report of the Ex-Crown estates' campaigning given to the recent London Labour Housing Conference by Victoria Park TA's Vice Chair. Hope it is interesting. More to come on our campaigning once I get it.

Nik Wood

[back to forum][quote]
  [RE: Campaign Report] - Posted: 01 November 2014 - 05:03 pm GMT
Jenny

Regular-user

Hello Nik, I read the Vice Chair's campaign you've posted but I'm afraid I don't believe it will have any effect whatsoever. I have lived in my Peabody flat for nearly 30 years and I know, from experience, that nothing makes any difference when it comes to affordable rents. I may be an old cynic but I don't think you're going to get anywhere.

There really isn't any interest in housing people on low incomes, none at all.

Social Housing now appears to house only the severely mentally ill and the feckless, and the saying that London will soon be a city where only the very rich and the very poor can live, is becoming very real. It really does seem that there will come a time when the very rich, living in their luxury London houses and apartments, realise that there is no one to serve in the shops, no one to clean the streets and their houses, to wait at tables, to deliver their orders, and all the other things they expect - most of the regular people that did those things will have moved away from London, and the only poor people left will be those incapable of working and who live on benefits.

That is the very reason why the Victorian philanthropists, such as George Peabody and the Improved Industrial Dwellings Co, built homes for the workers (in which many of us still live), because they knew they needed someone living near them to do all the dirty jobs they wouldn't do. That seems to have been forgotten.

[back to forum][quote]
  [RE: Campaign Report] - Posted: 03 November 2014 - 12:57 pm GMT
Nik Wood

New-user

Jenny

Many thanks for finding out how to access this. My apologies to everybody else that I don't understand e-things well enough to make links work properly.

None of us expects decorous detailed papers to The Labour Party to be the answer. We are presenting a petition about the rent levels on our 4 Ex-Crown estates on Friday, 7th November. And we don't expect that to result in Peabody saying "Well, golly gosh, how wrong we are!" We're contacting press etc but don't expect the embarrassment we can cause to make the difference. But we're having a go.

We got our organisation together to fight privatisation. It is therefore a bit limited and we don't have the resources to spread wider to all the Peabody tenants affected by these problems, let alone the wider tenants' movement. But we're having a go.

This Forum is good for spreading news, for exchanging one-to-one advice on problems and for letting off steam. But we need to get organised and the first faltering steps are unlikely to look all that impressive. If you want certainty, those of us having a go can't offer you the certainty of victory but those who just whinge offer you the certainty of defeat.

Nik Wood

[back to forum][quote]
  [RE: Campaign Report] - Posted: 03 November 2014 - 10:23 pm GMT
tenant

Big-user

Website?:  Link

serve in the shops, no one to clean the streets and their houses, to wait at tables, to deliver their orders, and all the other things they expect

the plan is that this is done by incredibly desperate immigrants who commute in 20 miles.

[back to forum][quote]
  [RE: Campaign Report] - Posted: 08 November 2014 - 12:10 pm GMT
Spectralis

New-user

It seems that tenant associations on Peabody Estates are very patchy so we need either a Peabody London wide tenants organisation/campaign or a London Social Housing tenants organisation/campaign.

The strategy of social landlords appears to be divide and rule so we need to unite together and get organised. Perhaps we could develop this forum into a hub of campaigning for our rights and those of other social tenants. One way of doing this is to show your solidarity with other social housing tenants by signing this petition:

http://www.change.org/p/new-era-should-not-become-the-end-of-an-era

Let's try to link up campaigns and give each other support and solidarity rather than remaining isolated in our own little enclaves trying to battle on on our own. I'm not completely sure how we can develop unity but any suggestions welcome.

[back to forum][quote]
  [RE: Campaign Report] - Posted: 08 November 2014 - 01:08 pm GMT
tenant

Big-user

Spectralis that is of course a great idea, and many share that aspiration, but in reality it's very difficult. The peabody TA's have regional meetings, but after years of those regional meetings Peabody have simply continually changed the goal-posts so they are almost ineffectual. The ex-regional head said "the days of tenant involvement are over". He has quit and his own estate TA has recently disbanded in protest of continual Peabody interferance. This same person is also part of a wstminster-wide tenants group, but again his assessment of that vehicle is also gloomy.

Another problem; certainly with inner-London estates, is that increasingly such estates are composed of less and less of a percentage of 'ordinary working Londoners', and a greater and greater percentage of social-services client tenants, asylum seekers and other people on benefits, AND a greater & greater percentage of market-rent tenants, so that only a small percentage are now "the working low-paid Londoners" who may in the past have been able to organise. Market-rent tenants aren't interested in any protests, and social-services clients are often dysfunctional and certainly cannot withold rent in any possible 'rent strike' as it is paid by housing benefit directly to Peabody.

I think, short of a major London property crash we have to accept the future for London is continually rising property and thus, continual foreign investment in that property as a commodity. This in turn means absolutely guaranteed continual 'social cleansing' of working Londoners... short of some sort of human-rights appeal to stop this, I can't see it being stopped.

The Gov't in all european countries (and usa, canada etc) has already in effect under-written the massively inflated prices of property on banks' books with our taxes (hence the 'austerity'). It's a terribly gloomy time for the UK & other nations.

Finally of course, anyone who objects to foreign takeover of London property or rising housing costs in the country as a whoile being driven by unfettered incoming immigration is labelled a racist... a very effective way of silencing any protest about this agenda.

I dunno what we can do. Tbh, a revolution of sorts is on the cards. Max Keiser of RT is right of course. We are under the control of financial terrorists - the banks and major corporations who have in effect pulled off a silent coup of most democratically elected governments, and who control ALL major parties - They basically are blackmailing nations like ours, saying "Do as we say, or we pull the pin and destroy your country"....

To quote Star Wars... "Fear will keep the local systems in line. Fear of this battle station."

[back to forum][quote]
  [RE: Campaign Report] - Posted: 13 November 2014 - 09:14 pm GMT
Spectralis

New-user

Fantastic news for NewEraEstate, Benyon's have withdrawn! It shows how a united tenants campaign can force these speculators out. The only way we're going to stop these speculators from driving working class people out of London is to unite all tenants whether they work or not or come from different cultures. Creating divisions among tenants is the divide and rule strategy of lying toffs like Farage and Cameron who want to help their mates like Lord Benyon.

[back to forum][quote]
  [RE: Campaign Report] - Posted: 15 November 2014 - 11:01 am GMT
Nik Wood

New-user

http://www.theguardian.com/society/2014/nov/14/finding-the-key-to-providing-secure-and-decent-housing

Again, not sure if this has worked as a link but it is to yesterday's Guardian letters page. Lots of interesting ones plus a re-cycled version of my one about three bedroom flats. Peabody are contesting the surplus figure but we're fighting it.

That edition also reports Benyon pulling our of New Era.

For info on the presentation of our petition and the consequent actions by Peabody go to our new website www.affordablerentnow.org

Nik Wood

[back to forum][quote]
  [RE: Campaign Report] - Posted: 16 November 2014 - 12:10 am GMT
tenant

Big-user

it'd be nice Nick if you included a link to this forum on that site. (assuming we're all working for the same thing).

Peabody monitors this site cos it gets such high google ranks when you search for 'peabody trust'.

We used to be page-1 google result for that search, right under the offical peabody website... our domain server was hacked recently taking the site offline... .hmmm.. was it Peabody? They hate this site apparently, and alot of money interests are in their 'development' plans (selling off social rent property), so i wouldn't put it past them or somebody connected to them.

We've been back online now for about 3 weeks and already back on page-2 results for that search. In a few more weeks we should be back on page-1.

[back to forum][quote]

Total = 9 messages   -   Viewing all 9 messages   -   View by pages of 10:  1

Reply to Thread

You are not Registered or not Logged-in - You must register to use the forum.

Wanna join up? - Click here  to Signup or Login !!

[you'll be brought right back to this point after signing up]

Back to Forum

[About Peabody Tenants]   [Contact us]   [Privacy Policy]