Sun, Apr 30, 2017 

Right of succession - 5 year tenancy only - housing bill

mail this discussion to a friend..

Total = 2 messages   -   Viewing all 2 messages   -   View by pages of 10:  1

[CRUEL - Right of succession - 5 year tenancy only - housing bill] - Posted: 02 February 2016 - 04:00 pm GMT   /   Edited: 02 February 2016 - 04:02 pm GMT
doner

View user details & audio files
New-user

Website?:  No link
File/Image?:  No file

I am not a housing lawyer and it is complicated to work out, but if I am right the Housing Bill
permits the right of succession that secure etc tenants have,

BUT THE SECURE TENANCY ENDS and is REPLACED BY A FIVE YEAR TENANCY.

So the spouse/partner/son or daughter who succeeds to the tenancy only gets a temporary 5 year
tenancy.

Is this regardless of what it says in our tenancy agreements? I guess so.

To do this it makes changes to the 1985 Housing Act (as amended by the Localism Act 2011).

SO UNFAIR. What if a son or daughter has spent years living with and caring for one parent. The
parent dies. The son or daughter has never been able to develop a career with a high income, or
even lots of job experience, so they aren't going to be able to earn enough to rent on the private
market. Or to buy a house anywhere in the UK. They have the right of succession. TO A 5 YEAR
NON-SECURE TENANCY.

Or how about an elderly couple, joint tenants. One passes away. The other, as the joint tenant, is
still in law the successor to the tenancy. So his or her partner has passed away, grief,
bereavement, rest of life faced along, etc, AND HIS OR HER TENANCY IS ENDED and instead
A SHORT-TERM 5 YEAR TENANCY is offered. Like the original tenancy but only for 5 years.

CRUEL. Wicked and cruel.

The rich must hate us so very, very much.

[back to forum][quote]
  [RE: Right of succession - 5 year tenancy only - housing bill] - Posted: 18 February 2016 - 12:03 pm GMT
Nik Wood

View user details & audio files

Website?:  No link
File/Image?:  No file

I'm no expert either but that's my understanding too.

The plan seems to be to make all tenancies as precarious as possible. The only people who will rent will be young professionals on the way up meteoric careers who will move on to buying or the dispossessed and destitute who will be warehoused in sink slums.

Peabody, like all housing associations, has got a bit worked up about right to buy but is singularly easy going about things like this. It doesn't just make moving to market rent and ending any charitable purpose easy, it positively encourages it.

With a Parliamentary Opposition more interested in its own navel than in being a tribune for the victims of this Government we have to take to the streets and do it our selves. See you on 13 March. Details at killthehousingbill@wordpress.com

Nik Wood

[back to forum][quote]

Total = 2 messages   -   Viewing all 2 messages   -   View by pages of 10:  1

Reply to Thread

You are not Registered or not Logged-in - You must register to use the forum.

Wanna join up? - Click here  to Signup or Login !!

[you'll be brought right back to this point after signing up]

Back to Forum

[About Peabody Tenants]   [Contact us]   [Privacy Policy]